Thursday, July 14, 2016

Stretching front brake life

The front brakes on a Nihola are well suited to Copenhagen.  Here in Oslo unfortunately mine wear pretty quickly, and they're a bit more of a challenge to fix than say a v-brake.  On one Nihola, they wore enough to stop being of any use at all.  I delayed fixing it for a long time because I didn't want to deal with it, but eventually I determined that the brake shoes had life left in them, I just needed to address a clearance problem involving the arm, shown below.

So then after delaying some more, I got my hands on an angle-grinder and fixed the problem.  Thats that, now the brakes work again.

I needed to unbolt the wheels, but thats pretty entry-level stuff.  There was just enough clearance to get the cutting disc into contact with the front corner of the vertical piece that holds on the fender, only a little metal needed to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment